Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Struck Again

Yesterday after breakfast at the guesthouse I took the Sky Train to my favorite, family run e-mail cafe. About half way through my post something went "rurrruppp". It turned out to be my stomach and my annual bout of food poisoning. I decided to make a dash, that is as dashing as one can be riding the Sky Train luckily only about 4 stops, for my room and I just barely made it. Seems I get food poisoning every trip and usually when I've eaten in a reasonably nice restaurant. But this is the first time I've been poisoned by the Bangkok Christian guesthouse. It was bit milder than in the past and by dinner I was eating Pad Thai before a two hour Thai massage.
Last year the guesthouse was doing a survey re: should they put TV in the rooms. Well they did...a nice flat screen with a cautionary note about not damaging it. "Good" I thought, "I can watch CNN and BBC." The problem is that neither channel is available but I can watch the Russian version which is filled with beefy Russian men in bad suits standing around at endless ceremonies. At least I can surf the news on the guesthouse computer without the $$ meter running.
I picked up a book at the airport to read and it turned out to be exceptionally good. It is "Out Stealing Horses" and comes from Norway written by Per Petterson.
No snow yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning from Iowa! We are enjoying nice temps (30) and a new President. Glad your stomach recovered quickly. Enjoy your travels and thanks for the updates. -Teresa

ln said...

EEEwww, Dad.....do we really need to know these sordid details? :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've read that book, too. I enjoyed it, as well. It was interesting to review some of the Nazi occupation story through the main character's eyes, his view of his neighbors (very independent man! even his daughter worried about him), etc.

I'm currently in TX hanging out with my library card, my laptop, my stitching projects and golfing husband -- he's gone again! It's about 82 today, but windy, and very, very dry. I was checking out my favorites and wondered why I still had this listed -- now I see, since Al is travelling again. Have you figured out what keeps "calling you" back to the Far East ?? I remember Ravy. She was a great friend to Lisa and now to the extended Negstad family. It's neat that you stay in touch.

Enjoy your trip...it's beyond cold in MN. It's an old fashioned winter there -- warm is nice!