Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Mall of America

Over the past several years, when some unattractive opportunity was presented, I would say to my colleagues at work, "I'd rather go clothes shopping with twelve women at the Mall of America." The strength of this declaration was increased by my smug refusal to go to the Mall. When I announced my retirement my ministry partner, Michelene, arranged to have twelve women (nine actually made it) take me to the MOA. So guess what I did today? I walked (alone in this case)to the 8 story mall about a mile from my hotel. Don't know that I'll do it again but it was interesting to see.
It's always a trip to walk around Bkk. I do sort of a shuffle watching every step for breaks, holes, etc. in the sidewalk, while keeping an eye out for awnings and umbrellas which are usually 6-12 inches lower than my head, all the while dodging pedestrians, carts, bikes, motorcycles, etc. Never a dull moment.....but the sights are fascinating and so are some of the smells, e.g., the scent of joss sticks telling me I'm near a shrine. (This morning, while I worked online the mom of the internet cafe brought out the offerings for the family shrine. Sort of family dvotions.)
I'm enjoying (usually) being back in my mom and pop internet cafe in Bkk. The one I used in KC was huge, I'd guess at least 200 terminals. This one has about 8 stations and the family children use it as their play room. This morning the baby let out the loudest ear piercing shriek, but, still better than the cloud of cigarette smoke in KC.
Logo on a t-shirt worn by an Asian man at the mall; "Welcome to America...now speak English". That reminds of the t-shirt I once saw on a young man in Cambodia, "Death to Yuppie Scum".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear that you went urban hunting. Did you take pictures?

Anonymous said...

Greetings Al

I am really enjoying all of your "blogs". I do not know if you know that Don and Carol E. are on a 60 some day cruise thru Panama Canal and all. I also got an update of their travls. A way to avoide SD winters! I do hope someday to enjoy the world as you all are.

Love to you and Joanne
Sylvia

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you for venturing into another mall...good work, Al! Sounds like you are having an amazing time! Enjoy the warm...sub-zero temps await you here...

Enjoy...
Stacy

Anonymous said...

Hi... I know you wont hang around BK very long. Wonder where you will land next. Be happy in the warm warm climate. We are heading for double digits below zero!! Keep taking pics. Such fun for the arm chair travelers here. Again, thanks.. jj

Connie said...

Without question, the warm weather you are enjoying post China is a far step from our present days in Mpls. This too shall pass - perhaps by the time you return to MN. Am enjoying your blog entries. Connie