Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Small world!

      Because this story is about only two counties, Brookings and Kingsbury, it is of itself a small world. However, it's also a small world because of an interpersonal connection. Kaia and Al, both needing haircuts, it worked out to do them on the same trip to Brookings.

     Sitting in the barber chair the barber asked "Where do you live?"  "Sinai" I said. The barber replied "Oh, my uncle used to live by Sinai."  "What was his name?" "Earl."  "Earl Sorenson?" "Yes."  "I worked for his brother Harold, one summer."  "Harold was my grandpa."

    It was the summer of 1957 and labor was adequate at the home place so I needed a summer job. In conversation with Earl he said his brother was looking for a hired man on the farm. That's how I got the job. The farm was about 30 miles from my home so I stayed with Harold and his family, wife and 2 year old daughter Joanne,  from Monday morning until Saturday afternoon. Harold was a worker. Breakfast was at 5:30, the work day began at 6:00. Dinner was at noon and supper at 9:00 pm. thus the work day was roughly fifteen hours. There were no morning or afternoon lunches to which I'd been accustomed.  Stacking baled hay and cultivating corn were my main activities. 

    Not long after that summer I was in the Marines, Harold's work regimen was good preparation for boot camp. There wasn't much contact with them subsequently.  As I was always wondering what became of them it was fun to learn of their lives from the grandchild.   

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: