Sunday, September 29, 2024

Renee Hunter: November 24, 1949-September 8, 2024

     Renee's memorial service was held in Golden Valley's Community Center and that huge space, maximum occupancy listed 425, was not large enough to hold the crowd. It was standing room only and even the hall outside the room had many others. The number in attendance was testimony to Renee, an exceptionally fine woman.

   One of the speakers remembering Renee asked "Have you ever felt supported? Renee was a supporter." That matched my experience of her. For twenty-two years we lived neighbor to Renee and her husband, Ron. When Joanne and I were looking for a way to connect with our neighbors we formed a book club. Renee joined immediately, faithfully participated, regularly contributed and often hosted. Her African-American perspective was a valuable asset. Her book suggestions were always helpful, leading us into literature we would have missed. In her humility she gave no clue that she had a master's degree in early childhood education. It wasn't until I read her obituary that I knew.

   Renee and I were almost related. Her nephew is father to Joanne's great-niece. COVID ended the book club in 2020 so it's been several years since I saw her. Having known her is a gift I treasure. Rest in peace, Renee.

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: