Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Computer follies!

     Believe it or not the computer classes in my elementary school days were lacking. Yup, lacking as in non-existent. Never have I had a computer course so I stumble along and L does her best to be patient with me when I need help. 

    Now I've learned that my anti-virus protection source has been banned in the U.S., by the Federal Government. Why? Partial ownership by an entity in Russia. Our Government feared that                    nefarious operators in Russia might access our computers.

   At least I'm competent enough to have my suspicions raised when I received and email saying that a new company was taking over for Kaspersky, the old company, and that my old passwords would work. Then I noted that the new software was already installed on my computer. Also installed was a VPN (Virtual Private Network). Because the internet at the OFH is quite public I always use a VPN. With my suspicions raised I immediately un-installed the new software. 

  Today, in conversation with my computer security pro, he affirmed that removal of software. He scanned my computer for virus and gave me the bad news. My computer is inadequate for Windows 11, therefore after October next it will no longer be supported. 

  Often I've mentioned that I seldom use TV. The exception being that here in the OFH I do watch sports. On the other hand the time not spent on TV is often spent on computer. One vice for another? or perhaps neither are vices.

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: