Tuesday, September 17, 2024

9/19/1959

         It was on September  19, 1959 that I reported to the USMC to begin my enlistment. Dad took me to Arlington to catch the Greyhound Bus to Omaha. In Omaha I somehow, forgotten how, from the bud depot to the airport. At the airport we boarded a DC-6, for the flight to San Diego. This was my first flight and almost my first venture outside of South Dakota. A couple of trips to the Twin Cities was the extend of my travel.

      We were met at the airport by a Marine sergeant and it quickly became apparent that the honeymoon was over. The first day on the base we packed up our civilian clothes and shipped them home. Now we belonged to the Marines and the next 12 weeks were in boot camp.

Takk for alt,

Al

PS  The picture posted yesterday on the nets was descending into a waiting landing craft. Ocean waves made the transfer from nets to landing craft perilous. 

   

                                                  File photo from 1959.

No comments: