Wednesday, June 5, 2024

1962 Con't...

        Yesterday's blog mentioned my USMC discharge, car purchase and trip to the Seattle World's Fair. Ed had a year left on his enlistment when we returned from Asia. For that year he was assigned to duty at the base in San Francisco; Treasure Island. That's where I met him for our trip to Seattle.

    Driving up the Coast Highway from San Francisco took us through the Redwood Forrest. Farther north we went inland until we reached Seattle. When we had completed our visit to the World's Fair we drove to Port Angeles, WA., out at the tip of Puget Sound. There my cousin Leslie Negstad, and his wife Esther, operated a Motel. Staying with them Leslie showed us the sights.

    He drove us up the Olympic Mountains and brought us into the rain forest.  Leslie was an avid fisherman and, when he farmed across the road from my boyhood farm, had introduced me to fishing.  Taking Ed and me to the Straits of Juan De Fuca, he rented a boat to which he attached his two and half horse Johnson outboard motor. With this tiny engine we were off to fish for salmon on the Straits. Never mind the ocean liners passing by.  Leslie landed and 18lb salmon and I a 5lb one. Easter cooked it for us.

    After our stay at Port Angeles Ed returned to Treasure Island. I, accompanied by Leslie's 16 year old son, Paul, drove to my home in South Dakota. Paul spent the summer with us. My brother, David, the farmer, had been activated with his National Guard unit and was stationed in Colorado. So I farmed for the summer until he was released from duty. In the fall I re-entered Augustana College to complete my degree.

Takk for alt

Al


                      It was a fun trip up the coast is this car.

No comments: