Thursday, November 14, 2019

The gift of age!

    The 'significance of friends' is a theme which I've often touted on this blog. Today I've been reflecting on the intersection of friends and age. The last few years have brought me a number of new friends which seems a special gift, especially as I hear of elderly who are isolated. All friends are a gift never to be taken for granted.
    But, as I mentioned above, this writing will focus on the nexus of age and friendship. Currently in the environs of The Little House, today I had the pleasure of spending much of the day with a friend with whom friendship goes back to 1976.  Over the years we've had many memorable occasions  together building a shared history that is deep and rich.
    While I was reading the Minneapolis Paper online this afternoon, a childhood friend saw my car outside The Little House and stopped for a chat, as he does with some frequency. This acquaintanceship goes back so far I don't remember a time that I didn't know him. With him conversation can go to people, places and things that very few others can reach. Were I to guess, I'd think I knew him as early as 1941!
     Email is another form of connection with friends. Today I had emails from two of Joanne's friends. One is a friend from their college days which means in the mid-50s. They kept up their relationship, lunching regularly, until Joanne's illness. Another email was from one of Joanne's colleagues from her days at Lutheran Services in America. 
     Age and friendship...growing old together...Yes, there are many gifts.

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: