Sunday, November 3, 2019

Shoulda known....

    It wasn't that I wasn't warned. More than one asked me if I was ready for All Saint's Sunday. Blithely I replied, "O yes." I wasn't. Our congregation reads the names of those who have died, 5, during the year and ring a large bell after each name. This followed by reading the names of the baptized, 11, during the year with each name followed by a bell of a higher tone. All are then invited forward to light a candle in memory of a loved one(s).
    The choir, accompanied by a string quartet and Joanne's piano sang Luminous Night of the Soul, by Norwegian composer Ola Gjeilo. It includes these words from St. John of the Cross,
      "O guiding night!
        O night more lovely than the dawn!
        O night that has united 
        the lover with his beloved,
        transforming the beloved in her lover.
   
    Joanne would have loved to sing that with the choir...15 women and 10 men. She would love "her" piano. She would remember the nights we stayed in Gjeilo, Norway in Bjorg's house with Berger and Bjorg. So now I tell you so I don't have to remember alone.



Takk for alt,

Al
Family out for dinner.

No comments: