Saturday, November 2, 2019

A Year Older:

    Well actually only a day older but the way we monitor things I can now say I'm XX. Don't feel it. Years ago I was visiting 92 year old Erma in a nursing home. She asked how old I felt on the inside and after a bit of thought said "19." When I asked her old she felt inside she said "21." It was reflected in her positive attitude toward life, though she was a widow and her only child, a son, had died of cancer at about age 19.
    Oh, I guess I've aged a bit, now I'd say to Erma's question, "I feel about 25 internally." But there are gifts at reaching "an age." Perspective, for example. There was a time the little adventure with a deer would have given me some anxiety. Now it just feels like a bit of a nuisance, except for the deer of course. Insurance is helpful, the kindness of family and strangers gratifying. The response of the clerk at the car rental place is good reminder of the goodness of humans. Our daily life runs on such reliable trust among people.  It is so commonplace that we often don't stop to think about it but we just assume people will do the ordinary things that keep life functioning.
    Yes, life is good. Those questions I failed to ask Joanne? Well, I've just learned to live with what I don't know. As for you, have you asked any good questions of your loved one(s) lately?

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: