Saturday, December 23, 2017

From Story Worth 12/23/17

Lisa asks: What is one of the most selfless thing you've done?

   Wow! It’s much easier to write about something stupid I’ve done than something selfless. This question about selflessness challenges something deep in my core. Self-promotions was forbidden, but, it was so much a part of the ethic with which I was raised that I cannot remember any specific admonitions against it. However, the values were deeply inculcated. Likely that is attributable to my Scandinavian heritage. Egalitarianism was the rule of the day. “Don’t blow your own horn!” While, you may be as good as everyone else, by all means don’t act as if you are superior to another.
    There is a story which I think illustrates this moral with a bit of humor.
    “Paddy, an Irishman, and his Norwegian neighbor, Ole, are running against each other for a seat on the county commission. They are invited to give a campaign speech at the country fair. Paddy goes first. When he is done speaking the Irish in the crowd give him a rousing ovation ‘Way to go Paddy!’ ‘Paddy’s our man!’ When the cheering dies down Ole gives his speech. When he finishes his speech the Norwegians in the crowd say in disgust ‘Who does he think he is?’”
    Trying to answer this question of ‘selfless things I’ve done’ provokes an existential crisis! Even trying to think about a selfless thing I have done seems a stretch too far. As soon as I think of something selfless I did, all of the intangible benefits I received from that act come to mind. Then, whatever it was, no longer seems selfless. What I have done, that may appear selfless to another, doesn’t seem selfless to me.
    Philosophically, or perhaps theologically, I do not believe that there is such a thing as a pure motive. All supposedly selfless acts are contaminated by some aspect selfishness.

    So, there you have it, my ruminations about being selfless with no examples of selfless behavior.

No comments: