Wednesday, December 13, 2017

from Story Worth 12/13/17

ONE OF THE STUPIDEST THINGS I'VE DONE

   Having done an incredible number of stupid things it is difficult to prioritize them. Therefore, I’ve chosen something a bit more global than an isolated dumb thing. Previously I’ve written about the one room country school which I attended. It was the site of some stupid things that I did. However, my focus will begin with something that began in elementary school but carried far beyond it.
    Judging from my report cards I was a good student....for three years. While in the first three grades all my marks were very good...including deportment, i.e., behavior on which we were graded. All that changed in the fourth grade where, I shifted from being a good student, to being one where my goal became to see how little I could do and still get by. Passing and grades became the goal, and learning was not important. This behavior continued through high school.
    Obviously that attitude did not serve me well and the reckoning came when I began college. Perhaps, even had I been a serious scholar, the shift to college would have been difficult. But, given my total lack of academic discipline for all those years, the adjustment was much harder. The joy of learning had passed me by and any studying I did was test or grade oriented. Thinking back on those years always brings pangs of regret for the opportunities I missed. On the other hand, I am deeply grateful for the second, third, fourth...chances I had so that recovery was possible. Perhaps my own history explains, at least in part, my joy now working with elementary students when I see their faces light up with discovery

No comments: