Sunday, February 5, 2017

Mini-Bus Follies

    Minibuses are 16 passenger, Toyota Vans.  They run as faster alternatives to the regular, large buses that crisscross both cities and the countryside. With my limited use of Thai, navigating them has been much trial and error.  There are many minibus companies that ply the same routes charging identical prices.  For many years I always used the same company that operated from the Victory Monument in Bangkok.  Since they were moved to the huge bus terminal at Mo Chit I can choose from several companies.  The main difference for me is where they discharge passengers in Ayutthaya.  By trial and error I found the company that leaves me at my preferred place in there.
   This morning I took a taxi to the bus depot where I walked through the cavernous terminal building, outside past rows and rows of big buses. past the first company of minibuses to the ones I wanted.  At the ticket booth I tried to buy one ticket, $2:00, but, pointing to me suitcase they signaled my I must buy two. Reluctantly I bought two remembering last week when I did, and for the first time ever in my experience, the bus was almost empty...5 passengers.  They motioned me to an empty chair to wait.  Five minutes later the bus pulled up and I went to enter but they motioned me to the side. After loading some other passengers they took my suitcase and placed it beside the driver.  Then they told the man who was sitting in the front seat to get in the back and put me up front, which has always been my preferred seat, but they have never moved anyone for me.
  In countless trips I don't think I've ever had a driver who held a steady accelerator.  In a straightaway they constantly depress and release the accelerator.  How annoying is that?   With traffic using the left side of the road the right lanes are the fast ones.  Typically the drivers will try to drive at right lane speed but using the left lanes so they are constantly weaving around vehicles.  What's wrong with just driving in the right lane?  It's not unusual for them to refuel in-route...propane.   Could the bus be prepared before the trip?   I know, I know...I'm getting cranky.

Helping the principal with English.


6th grade girls checking their English.

Watering the boulevard on Silom Rd., Bangkok.

Breaking up curb in front of Guesthouse with pneumatic hammer.

Loading the truck by hand.

6th grade boys work on their English.

No comments: