Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Fifty years and one day!

 The day went by and it didn't dawn on me what an important anniversary it was.  Important enough so at one time I used it as a way of remembering my wedding anniversary. On June 4, 1962, I was honorably discharged from the United States Marine Corps, fifty years ago yesterday.
  After two years in California, most of which was at Camp Pendleton, and a year in Asia I was due for discharge when our ship docked.  The papers should have been prepared aboard ship, the USS Princeton, so that I could of been released as soon as we landed.  That wasn't done so I had to wait, and eventually bribe some clerk, to get them typed.
  In Los Angeles, CA.,  I bought a 1954 Austin Healey, drove to San Francisco and picked up EV.  Then we drove up the coast to the Seattle's World Fair.  From the Fair we went to my cousin LN in Port Angeles.  From there EV went back to San Francisco and I drove home to South Dakota accompanied by my cousin's son PN.  It was great to be home again, the first time in two years! 

No comments: