Saturday, November 6, 2010

More Slow Reading.

I just finished rereading INFIDEL by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. I first read it over a year ago and now our book club is going to discuss it. It was even better on second reading and I think a very important book.
There are a couple of observations I'd make about the book. First, it is a very interesting story of her life including her time in the Dutch Parliament. Second, I think she's right about the necessity of immigrant communities living by the laws of the western societies in which they settle. She makes a powerful argument that Dutch toleration of fundamentalist Muslim practices violated the very values of Dutch society. The effect of that toleration was the continued isolation of those Muslim communities and the oppression of Muslim women.

No comments: