Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The big buck.

Last year I saw an exceptionally large buck with impressive antlers on my land. It's the land with the native grasses some of which are seven feet tall and the corn I raise as a food plot for wildlife. This fall I saw him again, or I should say, I saw his antlers because that was all I could see above the grass. It made me glad that he was still there.
I am an avid hunter but have my reservations about trophy hunting. The natural order is that the predators prey on the weak and vulnerable. When hunters go after only the trophy buck they violate that order. Trophy hunting is about the ego of the hunter and I don't find that attractive.
While I was hunting pheasants yesterday and today I deliberately avoided the fields where I have seen this large buck. Deer season opens Saturday and I'm hoping that he'll just stay in that wonderful cover and live another year. There is sufficient food, water and cover so he'll not need to leave. However, it is the rutting season and deer do move around allot during that time.
Today I spotted him in a field about two miles away from the fields I left undisturbed. I do hope he is back in the safety of that cover when deer season opens on Saturday.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Agreed on the trophy hunting. I went for years to Wyoming hunting and due to an overpopulation, took only doe Mule deer and Pronghorn. Never shot a buck The fact that we were hunting on a private ranch that had take off fees of $150 per buck and $0 per doe had absolutely nothing to do with it!