Friday, November 5, 2010

Life Downtown #1

All visitors to our 15th floor condo gravitate to the sliding glass doors to our deck and the view NW to the horizon. We too, sitting at our table, find ourselves turning to gaze out that door. Both day and night the vista attracts.
On the horizon we can see North Memorial Hospital, where I made countless visits over years. The hospital is in Robbinsdale, a first ring suburb on the NW border of Minneapolis. It was built there because the founding doctor didn't like the deal offered by Minneapolis.
There is a water tower by the hospital. At night it is guarded by a red light that blinks on and off. When I look off to the horizon and see that blinking light a palpable sense of calm comes over me. I wonder why? Why is that blinking light so comforting? I don't know but I observe...

1 comment:

Steve said...

It is like a pin on a map in your den. A place you know, where you have been - it is still there and you can always go back, but there is no need - because you know it. But it is still there, the option is yours. When I first moved to Scottsdale, I would go into a Target store just to go. It was like going home for a brief visit.