Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Interesting definition!

I was standing outside of Joanne's room at Abbott Northwestern Hospital while some nurses were tending to her. A bulletin board caught my eye. There was a huge banner over the billboard that said "MEASURES OF CARING". Under the heading were the goals of the hospital under a number of categories. Several were written in such technical gobbledygook that I had no idea what was meant. But the 2009 Service Goal leaped out at me. That goal is 7.1% net patient revenue growth. Isn't it interesting that service is measured in economic terms?
It is a good illustration of how health care has become a financial commodity. How much better would it be if health care was considered a fundamental human right rather than product by which profit is made.
Yes! I think we should have some form of universal health care, and, if I were to choose ,I'd choose the Japanese model. For example an MRI cost $87. in Japan!

For an update on Joanne's post surgery progress go to www.caringbridge.org/visit/jnegstad

1 comment:

dwatland said...

That is what happened when Fairview bought the U of MN hospital as well. Much more bottom line driven, which led to a massive change in the way nursing care was delivered: more care by nursing assistants and more paper pushing by the RNs. The beginning of the end of my career in nursing.