Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sometimes it is good to be last.

Southwest Airlines does not assign seats. Passengers are lined up by the time they got their boarding pass. Savvy travelers go online at exactly 24 hours before departure when boarding passes become available. Then with a early boarding pass the board first and they get their choice of seats.
I flew Southwest home from Chicago yesterday. Because I had purchased a senior ticket online they would not let me print a boarding pass....they wanted me to prove I was actually a geezer. Consequently, I was the 2nd to last person to board which prompted some reflections.
Why do we get anxious about getting aboard a plane when we have a reserved seat? The flight from Minneapolis to Tokyo is 12 hours. Why get on the plane early? Isn't 12 hours in that miserable seat enough? I guess it is our old friend, anxiety. Maybe I won't find a place for my luggage. Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe some one will get ahead of me.

SPELLING CORRECTION: Mai-Evy is properly spelled with a capital "E". My bad!

1 comment:

Dorothy Steinberg said...

Congratulations to the grandparents! The baby is a doll and so alert for a week old. Glad you are continuing to blog after the trip, but making me a bit homesick for South Dakota. Hope to see you folks this summer.