Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Kentucky or bust!

Who would drive 1902 miles in two days for a tractor? Leaving that question aside, it was great to have as a companion a long time friend. L and I grew up on farms in the same neighborhood. We were classmates for the 8 years of country school and 4 years of high school. Two years out of high school we roomed together for a year while he worked and I went to college. After that we went out separate ways; he married and I to the USMC.
We've reconnected in the last couple of years to play golf. So, when I was looking for a traveling companion for a trip to KY to pick up a tractor, I called and invited L to go along. He said, "Yes" and even his wife's broken hand did not dissuade him from the trip.
There was much to talk about. The final hours of our trip were spent recalling who lived where in our home town, Sinai, SD. There were only about 130 people in town so that was quite doable. I've said it before on these pages; there is something special about long time friendships.
Oh, the tractor? It is a 1963 IHC 504 and I got it at Lebanon, KY. Neither of us had been to KY before.

No comments: