Sunday, May 17, 2009

If the bullet doesn't have your name on it....

Visiting with my spiritual director the other day I said, "If the bullet doesn't have your name on it get out of the way." She burst out laughing having never heard that before. Maybe that's because she's not a Marine. I don't know where I learned it but it's a worthwhile learning. More prosaically we ofter say, "don't borrow trouble." Jews, who often are very expressive, have a saying, "Only a fool picks up a passing dog by its ears."
These are three ways of expressing the same idea. I can remember a couple of instances in my ministry where I ignored that advice and, not only made things worse, paid a personal price for it. So, with that reflection, I'm off to SD to do some farming. Will my corn be ready for cultivation?

No comments: