Friday, February 2, 2007

When In Thailand

The modest hotel, in which I'm staying, has many farang (foreigners) mostly European and Indian. As is common here, they have a two tier price system. My hotel charges foreigners double what Thai pay. the cost is 1000bt for Thai and 2000bt per day, breakfast included, for foreigners which translates to about $35. and $70. respectively. They gave me the Thai rate because I convinced them I was a friend of Thailand. I considered telling them I was a friend of the king but that was a stretch and untrue besides. Haven't encountered any Americans since leaving USA.
Every day I've been going to the same place, because it is cheapest, for my massage...$9. for two hours is money well spent. I ask for the same masseuse who is working hard on her English. Working six days a week, from 9am to 9pm, she uses her day off to take English classes. She's the Thai form of social security. At 34 she is the youngest of three children, unmarried and works to support her parents who live near Chiang Mai.

1 comment:

Terri Mork Speirs said...

A daily $9 massage is so unfair. T