Saturday, February 3, 2007

I Saved 2 Dollars

There was a taxi waiting as I stepped off the water taxi by the Oriental Hotel (the hotel that once refused me admittance because I was wearing sandals) yesterday. Taxis by hotels often like to work off meter so they can charge more. I told the drive where I was going and he said, "150Bt (approx $5.)" I said "No". He said "100Bt" and I walked down the street and flagged one down. The meter read 37Bt when I smugly dismounted from the cab at a place I did not want to be. It turned out to be a cheap ride to the wrong place because the driver understood less English than a New York cabbie. Oh, yes, I did get where I wanted to go in the next cab...for 100Bt. Similar to many of my attempts to economize!
The water taxis on the Chayo Praya river are fun. I rode from end to end yesterday just for the fun of it. The cost was about $1. each way. Cheap entertainment.
Stuck in a traffic jam yesterday I wondered how it felt to be a sailor becalmed at sea. In Bkk traffic jams stop, for what seems like forever, then speed ahead at high speed for a few blocks only to come to a complete stop that seems endless. I found a new area on which to work in my quest to be non-anxious.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So are you saying that a taxi, which is stuck in traffic is your new place to practice your non anxious presence or am I not tracking with you?