Friday, March 2, 2018

Remakable Generosity!

      Much of this story goes back to the devastating floods that struck Thailand in 2011.  Pastor Mary, of Grace University Lutheran Church, of which I'm a member, approached me with the possibility of an offering at Grace to send money with me to help in Thailand.  She knew that I was going every year to teach school.
      That began an annual tradition of  Grace taking a special offering for me to distribute in Thailand.  This year Grace sent $4,000.00 with me to which other friends made generous contributions.  In addition I use my own funds and I pay all of my travel costs.
      This outpouring of generosity is very humbling and I take seriously the trust that's placed in me   So where did the money go?   Long time readers of this blog know that we've been supporting Gai's family with the aim of keeping her daughters, Mia, 19, and Pearwa, 10, in school.  With our support they can continue their studies where otherwise they might have to drop out of school to work.  To that end, I paid a year's tuition for each girl.  Mia, having completed junior college, will now enroll in a two course in marketing after which she will be able to provide family support.
       Living with the same Thai family, now for eight years, has provided access for me into a local community.  In the past we've provided financial support for Baan, and his wife, who live nearby in a squatters shack with electricity but no running water.  Things are going a bit better for Baan, who is a skilled handy man.  This year in place of direct aid I paid him to do some work at the house where I stay; plumbing, bench repair, shelving and other minor jobs.
      There's a rather long list of  other accomplishments with these funds; cooking gas for a widow, financial support for another widow who has to take a month from work on doctor's orders...no health or disability insurance...a month's supply of rice for a family, paid off a loan which was at 18% interest, paid some utility bills, made a house payment, did motor bike repair, bought food for numerous people, paid a "pawn shop" loan so a widow could get her valuables back.  Most ordinary people don't qualify for bank loans and even if they could the interest would be 18% or more.  So they go to loan sharks...there aren't really any pawn shops...where they pay 20% PER MONTH!
       The school in which I teach is in a poor neighborhood.  When I asked the teachers how many of the students are poor they said "They all are."   The teachers always supplement the school lunch with food from home or that they buy on the way to school.  Consequently, there always a lot of left overs after lunch.  These left overs are bagged and sent home with the neediest students.  In spite of the need I've never found a mechanism for giving financial aid to students.  It's an issue I'll continue to explore with the principal.
        What astonishes the recipients is learning that a congregation, temple in their parlance, in America  would care enough to provide support.  Two things are in play here.  First, is the distance factor.  People from so far away doing it.  Second, is the corporate aspect.  They are familiar with individual generosity  In their Buddhist understanding if an individual gives a gift that individual is making 'merit', i.e., good karma.  So the recipient does the giver a favor by receiving the gift so it is often done face to face.  But temples  don't take offerings to benefit anonymous receivers.  So the recipients are flooded with gratitude.
       Those reading this who contributed in any way; 1, know you are making a difference, and, 2.
that the recipients are profoundly grateful.  THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

6th grade farewell at school.

My farewell speech.

No comments: