Saturday, March 17, 2018

From Story Worth 3/17/18

   Am I Morning Person or an Evening Person?
    Who knows? For much of my life I was clearly an evening person Thinking with speed and any kind of clarity was much easier after noon than before. In the first hours after arising it was difficult to focus. I remember thinking “I have a thought about this but I can’t quite find it.” It has been a long time since I felt like that. During that time thinking worked well late into the night.
    Many years ago I decided that a regular schedule would be good for me. That began a schedule of rising about 6:00 a.m., and heading for bed about 10:00 p.m. That has been my routine for so many years that even if I decide to sleep-in I seldom can make it to 7:00. Now, the time of day does not seem to change the how easily I think. Have I become more of morning person because of a long regular pattern of early rising? Perhaps my pattern had changed simply because I’m old? I don’t know.
    My mother’s sleep pattern was interesting. For the forty years she lived with my father, until his death, she rose early which was his practice. After he died she became and evening person. She lived twenty years after his death. During her long widowhood I could call her until mid-night knowing she would be awake. A call before 8:00 a.m., would probably get her out of bed. Her experience would lend support to the idea that my change is due more to habit than old age.

No comments: