Saturday, October 1, 2016

Noble Academy, 2016-2017

     Too much fun!  That's the short description of my year of volunteer work at Noble Academy during the 2015-2016 academic year.  Before the year ended the teacher invited me to participate in the same way this year.  I'm thrilled to be back...and it's even better this year.
      Working with four 6th graders we are just finishing the first book we've read together.  Fever: 1793, is a historical novel about a Yellow Fever epidemic in Philadelphia the occurred in 1793. Because the students all come from homes of English language learners their vocabularies are not well developed.  They are the most proficient readers in their class...reading at a high school level...so it is a delight to help them expand the words that they know.
     So why is it better this year?   One of the 5th grade teachers, with whom I'd previously worked, was disappointed that I no longer assisted in her room.  I suggested to her that, becasue I only 60-75 minutes with the 6th grade, I'd be happy to do the same for her if she'd like.  She could choose the students and the books for us to read as long as it was not at the time I was with the 6th grade.  She agreed so now I'm reading with 5th graders, too, and that's why it's better this year.
     The 5th grade is reading an old classic; BFG, by Roald Dahl.  One of my 5th graders told me that "he's my favorite author".    Another in response to my asking how many siblings...well here's the dialog:  "Me: How many brothers and sisters do you have?  Student: I don't know.  Me: What's your best guess? (A little pause while the student thought.) Answer: Seventeen."
    A number of factors make this an ideal volunteer opportunity.  No preparation is required of me, being there every day is not necessary, the students are exceptional and love to read...plus, of course it keeps me off the street.
Some of my 6th graders last year on 'dress up day'.

This year's 6th graders.  (Notice the fist salute.)

No comments: