Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Strong Norse Women

   "I'll drive my car tomorrow because the roads are very narrow" said Maren.  We were visiting her in Arendal, Norway and making plans to visit the island of  Hisoy the next day.  Indeed the roads were so narrow that at some points cars could not meet.  What was unusual is that Maren is ninety years old and she was insisting on being the driver!
   Borghild is tall, about six feet, blonde and beautiful.  She has raised three boys.  She lives with her husband, Knut, on the south eastern tip of Hisoy Island.  Beyond their house are lighthouses, uninhibited islands and the sea stretching off toward Denmark.
   Every Sunday since she was fifteen she has gone for a swim in the fjord.  Ice?  No problem she just pushes it aside.  The water temperature was 6.5 Celsius when we visited.  Easter week she did it four times because friends asked.
   When asked why? she gave four reasons.   1.  It's good for the skin.  2.  It helps circulation. 3. It's good psychologically.  and, 4.  It is social because I do it with friends.
   Not me!  The older I get the less I like to be cold and especially cold and wet.  I even groan in tropical Thailand with pail showers of tap water at 65 degrees.

No comments: