Tuesday, April 21, 2015

In Memoriurm: Rev. Ed Bersagel April 22, 1926 - March 30, 2105

     In 1979 I thought it was time that I leave Our Saviour's in Sioux Falls for a new call.  Ed was Assistant to the Bishop. E. O. Gilbertson, of the South Dakota District, ALC.  I made an appointment to see Ed to discuss my future.  The wisdom he imparted changed my future and I've always been grateful.
    At this long pass I can't totally reconstruct the conversation but I do remember, now 35 years later, the essence of the conversation because it was life transforming.  After learning of my interest in a move Ed asked me to define what I wanted.   My response was largely focused on geography and size of congregation.  For example when I defined a geographic area Ed would ask if I'd go a little further.  When I said "Yes", he'd push the limit a bit more.
   This process went on for awhile until finally he said in effect "you can't get what you want by defining externals, what part of work energizes you?"  After we'd discussed that for a bit he told me to go home and write a one page list of those things.  With that done he said I'd be ready to evaluate future options.
     He was right.  My next move was to a position that I would never have considered prior to meeting with Ed.  It was profoundly fulfilling and I remain deeply grateful that he had prepared me to be open to it.
    Over the years I've had the opportunity to work with associates, interns and students. That has given me the opportunity to share Ed's wisdom with many others.
    Thanks, Ed, well done good and faithful servant.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Although I never met this gentleman, I feel I must thank him for giving you such direction. For, without his direction my life may never have been blessed by you and your family.