Wednesday, May 23, 2012

"Thank you! Mr. Al"

 Volunteering in the fifth grade classrooms at Noble School this year has been a great joy.   It's been my pattern to go any morning I'm free.  It's an ideal volunteer situation because I can just show up, I have no preparation and no discipline issues. 
  Last week the teachers asked if I could come some afternoon and we agreed that I'd do that today.  When I arrived I discovered that it was a "Thank You" party for me.  They gave me a framed picture of the class,  and two booklets containing "thank you" letters from each of the students.  The students mentioned specific things I'd done for which they were grateful.  Desperately sweet!  Then we went out on the lawn and played for an hour.

  Next year I plan to continue working, both with these students as sixth graders, and with the new fifth grade class.  One of the teachers is moving on to sixth with her class and the other is staying in fifth grade.  Sixth grade math is beyond me but I can help them with many other things.  With a potential of four classes in which to volunteer perhaps I'll spend more time there.  :)

No comments: