Monday, May 14, 2012

Conversations with 5th graders.

  Last week I was conversing with two girls in one of the fifth grade classes at Noble, where I volunteer regularly.  We were discussing our families and I asked C. if she had any brothers.  C. said "No".  I said "That's too bad."  L. spoke up and said "I have nine brothers."  I said to C. "Maybe you can borrow one from L. since she has nine."   L. said "I'm C.'s aunt."
  How do you teach working carefully?  Testing is incessant and much teaching is working towards the tests.  After a recent round of testing the class was working on their math skills because many had not tested very well.  I was working with a small group of students on math problems on a worksheet.  Most of them knew how to do the problems but it took 2 or 3 tries before they got the correct answer.  Why?  Careless mistakes.  Tests do not give second chances.

No comments: