Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Energizing!

I just met with my friend, KW, a retired ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher, to brainstorm teaching ideas for my teaching in Thailand. The first year I taught in Thailand I shared a house with several other volunteers some of whom were teachers. They were a great resource for me. Additionally there was a huge stash of educational material in "our" house. When I went back last year I shared a different house with one volunteer who had no teaching experience. Not only that, all the educational materials were gone. This year I stayed as the only volunteer with a Thai family.
One effect of these changes was that my teaching repertoire was wearing rather thin. KW bubbles with ideas and resources for teaching, though she tells me that I'm teaching EFL (English as a Foreign Language). Whichever I'm doing, she has so many creative ideas that I'm energized and I think my teaching will be more engaging, effective and fun.
Bringing a second suitcase is one idea that emerged. Typically I bring one small suitcase and small carry on. However, on international flights two checked bags are permitted per passenger. One could be filled with educational materials and I could store it at the school for my use when I return.
She also directed me to some helpful web sites. Previously when I clicked on 'ESL' I got about 100,000 hits. Attempting to wade through them for something helpful was more than I could manage. Finding the right website will be a boon.
Can't wait to try out some of these ideas!

No comments: