Sunday, July 12, 2009

Comfort food...

I love Farmer's Market. Minneapolis has a great one Saturdays just off Glenwood Ave. NW of downtown. Yesterday the weather was perfect. I like the diversity, the produce, the music, smell of brats cooking, fresh sweet corn freshly cooked, the Hmong grandmas, the jostling crowds, fresh sweet rolls, flowers, bedding plants, honey, jams, cheeses, spices, Somali women negotiating with Hmong grandpas, Latinos bargaining for chili peppers, Hmong grandchildren translating for their elders, Indian women in saris, people speaking Russian, middle Easterners buying eggplant, Hmong hand stitched cloth, organic chicken, fresh eggs.... All this is crammed together under a series of long narrow sheds with roofs but open sides. Lines form in the aisles snaking along between the tables. Queue up and follow along but watch out for the baby buggies.
My purchases included a bouquet and a carmel roll for my sweetie, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, two kinds of onions, muskmelon, and freshly shelled sweet peas. My mother, Edith, always made creamed peas. Joanne fixed creamed peas for me...my idea of comfort food...summer in Minnesota and life is good.

1 comment:

MplsFarmMarket said...

Love the way you described us.