At my age memory stretches back a long time. In late summer 1959, enlistment in the Marines was looming. Enlisting in the spring for a September 19, report date, gave me enough time to wonder what I was in for. My life to that point was as provincial as provincial could be. Minneapolis/St. Paul was as far from my South Dakota home as I had been.
On the day I left for Boot Camp, Dad took me to Arlington to catch a bus to Omaha. Meeting several other recruits, we were taken to taken to the airport. Boarding DC-6, for the flight to San Diego we had our last freedom until after graduating from Boot Camp. Enjoying my first airplane ride was tempered by wondering what awaited at the end of the flight.
In the San Diego airport, we were met by a Marine Seargent who quickly demonstrated that the honeymoon was over. At Marine Corp Recruit Depot, we were formed into platoons and housed in Quonset Hut barracks that would be our home for the next twelve weeks.
At the recent family reunion, I was asked why I chose the Marines. The military draft was active in 1959. Wanting to take a break from college the draft would have come for me. Army, Air Force and Navy were also options. The Marines had a provision that recruits with two years of college could enlist for three years instead of the standard four years. Navy and Air Force were both for four years. The Army was two years but didn't appeal. The challenge of the Marines appealed foe I enlisted for three, and the rest is history.
Takk for alt,
Al

No comments:
Post a Comment