Saturday, July 13, 2024

Plow vs Plough

      When I found a piece of mail in my box this morning with the return address "Plough Quarterly." I assumed it was an ad for a farm publication.  Antique Power. about old tractors and machines is, one of my subscriptions so I assumed this was another.

    In Great Britain what we call plows are called ploughs, pronounced the same but spelled differently.  The return address was New York, but I assumed English influence. The English part may be correct but it's a religious publication.  It takes its name from Joel 3:10 "...beat your swords into ploughshares."  Having just attended the National Plowing Contest plows were on my mind.

    The other reader enquires about "moldboard plows." Here's a picture of a modern one for illustration.

    The black, bottom piece is the "plow share", fastened with two bolts, which was pulled below ground and could be sharpened or replaced. Above it is the "moldboard" which rolled the loosened soil over covering the straw. It left the soil too exposed to erosion, therefore it's seldom used now. 

Takk for alt,

Al



"Leadplant, Amorpha canescens, has both unique foliage & flowers with iridescent purple spikes extending above the intricate silver-gray leaves in midsummer."  This is a legume forb growing near the pasture.


1 comment:

Michelene said...

I am glad I asked thanks
The other reader😀