Wednesday, November 1, 2017

This Just In "Chaing Rai"

   The second year that I taught school in Thailand I roomed with another American, Nick, in a small house in family compound in Ayutthaya. A daughter of the host family, Pear, was then in junior high and she was very interested in learning English so she and I talked often.
  In the years since I've stayed in touch with Pear via Facebook.  I've also visited with her in person and gone to dinner with her and her family.  Pear attended a university in Chaing Rai, Thailand's northernmost city, where instruction is in English.   When I saw Pear earlier this year she told me that her graduation would be in February and invited me to attend, though the dates had not been set yet. (Quite a contrast to American universities where the academic calendar is set years in advance.)
  Today's Facebook message from Pear informed me that her graduation ceremonies will be Feb. 12-16, 2018, which is while I will be in Thailand.  I plan to attend.  It's been 12? years since I was in Chaing Rai and I've never attended a university event in Thailand.  Will the ceremonies be in English?  If so, many families will not be able to understand, but,if it is in Thai I'll be out.  No matter. I'll be able to enjoy the festivities either way.  Needless to say I'm excited.

At dinner with Pear's family...Pear between her parents.

With Pear.

No comments: