Tuesday, June 6, 2017

A Faithful Fan and More About My Watch

    During my working years I worked weekends.   That sometimes kept us from visiting friends. Now that we're retired we've made a practice to make and annual Iowa tour which has three stops; Decorah where the Curmdugeonette's college roommate lives, a farm at Calamus near Davenport where my USMC friend farms and Iowa City where my ministry partner resides.
   It's a great time to renew and refresh friendships some of which stretch back to the '50's.  Last year E.V., with whom I shared 3 years of military experience in the USMC challenged me about my lack of blogging.  He's the number one fan...maybe the only one :)...of my blog,  He presented me with printed copies of years of my blog.  Rising to his challenge I have attempted to write more regularly.
   This year he presented me with printouts of the 2013 blogs.  In looking through it I found a blog written on Oct. 15, 2013 about my watches.   In the blog I told about buying a Rolex in Hong Kong in 1962 which I wore for years until a worker at Boston Market saw it and said "That's a stainless steel Rolex worth six thousand dollars."  I had no idea that the watch I bought for $100. had appreciated that much.
   Being a tight wad I put the Rolex away and purchase a digital Casio for $19. which works great. Unfortunately the watch band broke and I was unable to find a replacement, which, if I could have found one, would cost $10.  So I bought a second Casio just like the first one.
   Knowing that there was a watch band stand on a sidewalk in Bangkok I took both watches with me. To my delight I found the stand got a replacement band for $3.  Armed with two functioning Casio's I thought I was prepared for the long haul!
  The timing escapes me now, but again, a band broke...I know I'm hard on watches.  So on my trip to Thailand this year I brought both watches.  However, the watch band stand in Bangkok was nowhere to be found. One morning as I was preparing to leave the house for school the second band broke. Met, seeing my dilemma said "No problem, give to me."  Well, I thought, if she can fix one why not two?  So I gave her both watches and when I returned from school I was the proud owner of two new bands.
   So, you ask, what do I do with two watches?   Simple one's a spare, but, I left it on Ayutthaya time so when I return to Asia it will be pre-set!

No comments: