Monday, April 17, 2017

Business, South Dakota Style

    Spring is sprung and it's time to chop the corn stalks.  On  Monday I inflated the tires on the stalk chopper and on Wednesday when I hooked the tractor to the chopper one of the tires was flat.  So it was back to the garage with the tractor and out with thetruck, a jack and tire wrench.  With the flat tire in the truck bed I headed to the local co-op for tire repair,
    Entering the co-op shop I found Jim working on a trailer.  He looked over at me and asked "Tire problems Al?"  I suppose the fact that I was carrying a tire was a big clue.  He left his project, put the tire on the tire changing machine and said "The tire's very old"...remember white sidewalls? Yup, it was so old it had a white sidewall.  He pulled out the inner tube and patched it as we made small talk. Then he went into the back room and returned with a used tire, mounted the tire and tube, took me to the office and charged me $30....$20. for the tire and $10. for the repair and in 15 minutes I was on my way.
   So what's the big deal?   Nothing, really, but I found it amusing that he never asked me if I wanted a used tire, told me the cost or involved me in anyway in the decision making process.  Jim knew what was needed so no discussion and I left a happy customer, even if slightly bemused.


1 comment:

Steve Correll said...

I remember scrubbing white sidewalls on all of my Dad's cars as a kid. It was a prime inspection point of my work, if the whitewalls didn't gleam white - I wasn't done. Hadn't thought of whitewalls for a long time. Now I remember that I really didn't like them.

Interesting story. Thanks for sharing.

Steve