Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Postscript about trees

   Yesterday's blog post reported on the fine grove of trees that surrounded our farmstead.  It provided wonderful protection from the bitter winter winds except in the rare occasion of an east wind.  There was a bit of downside in the summer time when the yard would be very hot as the summer breezes were blocked.
    The orchard enclosed as it was within the trees could be stifling hot in the heat of summer.  Dad was an avid gardener and in his last years his garden was between the orchard and the other trees...no breezes were likely to reach that spot.  One stifling hot summer day with the temperature near 100 degrees day, now in his 80s, was working in the garden. I was sent out to keep an eye on him.  After we'd worked awhile I said I thought we'd better go to the house to cool off.  He said "I'm not hot."  I said "I am" and that persuaded him to go in.  (For those who now wonder about my current tolerance for heat you see I come by it honestly.)
   This grove presented a wonderful play ground for us as children.  The grassy yard was large enough to host a baseball game and other sports.  But the trees were a great place for children to play.  We spent many hours in the cool shade climbing, exploring, imagining and building.  Not to mention cutting wood for the stove.

No comments: