Thursday, December 17, 2015

One of my favorite books. From 12/17/15 Writer's Almanac

It's the birthday of Hmong writer Kao Kalia Yang (books by this author), born in Ban Vinai refugee camp in Thailand (1980). Her family moved to Minnesota when she was six years old. She planned to become a doctor. Then, during college, she did a study abroad program in Thailand that focused on global poverty. She said: "When I came back to America and college, I knew I could survive poverty in my life without being selfish. This is how I knew I could write." So she continued on to an MFA program, and she wrote a memoir about growing up Hmong in America, called The Latehomecomer(2008).
She said, "I became involved with writing like it is a love affair."
PS  January 11, 2016 I leave for Thailand and return February 15.

No comments: