Saturday, November 15, 2014

A day in the life...........

    D.M., L.N. and I were driving back from the sale where I almost bought a tractor...glad I didn't...and as we drove through Volga past the old hospital I said "I spent a night there."  L.N. said "what was that about?"  "It was the time I got hit by a car on the highway.........."
    Alonzo Peeke, MD, was the local doctor. He lived in a mansion across the street from the little hospital.  His office/clinic was in the ground floor of his mansion.  He thought I should be hospitalized for observation after I was hit...my first stay in a hospital.
    It was a Sunday afternoon and I was with my best buddy, R.H,, we were seniors in high school.  We were driving my '48 Pontiac west on Highway 14, just west of Brookings when I had a flat tire...left rear.  R.H. and I were in the process of changing the tire, I was bent over starting the lug nuts when I glanced up in time see a car coming at me, quite slowly.  Standing up quickly just before I was hit I was rolled between the cars like one might roll putty in one's hands.  Nothing obviously broken, no cuts or lacerations, I confronted the driver who had stopped.  He claimed he didn't know he'd hit me.
   We drove  the 3 miles to Volga and went to the emergency? room...or at least we found the doctor who put me in the hospital overnight.  He also called the sheriff who showed up in my room.  His name was Clauson and he always wore a 10 gallon cowboy hat.  He quickly identified the driver, A.D., who had a record of driving drunk.  The sheriff told me later that when he went to A,D.'s house A.D. had confessed and, if my memory serves me correctly, he even did a little jail time for it.  I got out of the hospital the next day, stiff and sore, but with no serious injury.

No comments: