Thursday, October 30, 2014

Cut and Paste

     Yesterday I did my first stint as a classroom volunteer in my granddaughter's kindergarten classroom at Seward School.  While I never attended kindergarten, it hadn't been invented yet :), my assigned job reminded me of my feelings of inadequacy from early elementary school, Starting first grade at age 5, I was able to walk the mile so school (uphill both ways) with no trouble.  However, coloring in the lines, cutting and pasting were never my best skills.
    So my first task in the classroom?  Supervising three students at a time cutting and pasting the names of the continents on a map.  Putting old feelings aside I soldiered on.
    Gwen, the teacher, introduced me to the class as "Mr. Al, Mai-Evy's grandpa".  One little boy leaped up excitedly announcing that his grandpa was also named Al.  My name was quickly forgotten as the students all referred to me as "grandpa".  I'm looking forward to being "grandpa" to 28 kindergarten students.

No comments: