Monday, March 10, 2014

Book Report

    Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple, copyrighted 2012, is our book club book this month.  It took me a while to get into it but once I did I pretty much read the rest in a sitting.  From a Family Systems perspective it is fascinating while both it's whimsical and humorous.
   Part of the book is set in Ushuaia, Argentine though the basic setting is Seattle.  Two of the characters while in Ushuaia are told that the main tourist attraction in town is the prison which has been turned into an art museum.  Lars and I visited that museum when we were there and I'd almost forgotten about it.
  Having the opportunity to choose the next book I selected The Gift of Rain by Tan Twan Eng. It maybe the best book no one has ever heard of.  Joanne gave it to me a few years ago because it is set in Penang, Malaysia a city that I  had visited. The time setting is before, during and after WW II.  It is one of my favorite books and I reread it recently finding it as good the second time as the first.  I'll read it again before book club meets.
Lars in front of our guesthouse in Ushuaia the worlds southern most city.

With penguins on Tierra del Fuego south of Ushuaia. 

No comments: