Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Creating an educational opportunity..

 January 7, is the departure date for my 5th Thai teaching experience and 4th at the same school.  Students at Noble Academy, where I volunteer here, are very interested in the Thai students and the Thai students in their American peers.  I'd like to be a bridge between them.
  Last year the 5th grade at Noble wrote letters to the Thai students which I delivered.  The students in Thailand wrote letters in response which I brought back.  In return the 5th graders wrote more letters which we mailed.  That is the last we heard.
  I learned that the this exchange overwhelmed the Thai students English capability.   Therefore, I've proposed to the teachers at Noble we try some different things.  One Noble class could write very short, 3 or 4 sentence letters, on one side of a sheet of paper.  On the other side they could write a  "fill in the blank" response template such as "Hello my name is ______________________.   I am _________  years old. I have ___________ brothers and _________ sisters.  I like to ________________________________.  etc.  Other ideas:  through this blog send me requests to have my picture taken with people/places/things.  Research news events and ask me what Thai media are saying about them. Other ideas from readers of this blog are very welcome.  Just post them in the comment section.
  I'm looking forward to returning to established relationships at the school and with family with home I stay.  Our recent snowy weather makes me look forward to tropical temperatures even though the house does not have air conditioning.  Even sleeping on the floor doesn't seem all bad.  :)

No comments: