Sunday, November 4, 2012

The lady and the loon.

  It was a beautiful October day and Trygve and I decided we'd walk around Lake Calhoun.  As we rounded the south west corner of the lake I spotted a large bird in the water not far from shore.  Just across the path directly in front of the bird was a woman on a bench facing the lake.
  Drawing nearer to the bird I could tell it was a loon.  Unperturbed by the woman on the bench nor by our approach the normally reclusive and shy loon was splashing and preening.  I envied the woman her perspective on this exotic bit of wildlife.  Momentarily I shifted my gaze from the serendipitous viewing of this migrating waterfowl to see if the woman was taking it all in.  However, she was so engaged in a conversation on her cell phone that she was totally oblivious to the scene in front of her.  I felt sad for her. 

No comments: