Thursday, April 12, 2012

The odessy of a toaster.

A year out of the Marines and my last year at Augustana College, 1963, I was living at First Lutheran Church, Sioux Falls. It was my job to lock up at night and help the custodian of this large, downtown church. Some women, among whom was Camille Newcomb, cleaned the church kitchen. They decided the Sunbeam Toaster was obsolete so they gave it to me.
It still works! In fact we used it almost every day until recently. The curmudgeonette and L2 tired of it because it doesn't do very well with ultra thin bread. It still toasts fine if the bread isn't too thin. But, it's been retired to Our Little House on the Prairie as an object d`art.
Last fall I asked C. T. to put a new electrical cord on the old toaster. After taking it apart into dozens of pieces he decided that the replacement cord I'd purchased wasn't adequate for the temperatures generated while toasting. With great patience, persistence and a dash of the miraculous he was able to reassemble it. If you visit Our Little House you'll see it standing proudly looking as it did when it was manufactured in the '40s.

No comments: