Saturday, May 28, 2011

Back again.

I've been away from my blog for awhile and so I think it's time to pick it up again. From the beginning of blogging I decided only to blog when the spirit moves me figuring that forcing it is likely to be lame. Of course it may be lame even when it's not forced. :)
No, my corn is not planted. A few weeks ago I was able to chop the stalks with my handi dandi stalk chopper. But that's all I've been able to do. When I can be in SDak it's too wet and when it's dry enough I'm not there. Last year I was done planting in April but this year is very wet. US Highway #81, that stretches from Winnipeg to San Antonio, runs past the Negstad homestead. The highway was raised 4 feet in the late '80s and six feet more in the '90s. Now water is over the road again. However, it is now so high that it is running out...east into Lake Sinai. In the 126 years Negstads have lived on the homestead the water has not been this high.
But, back to my corn...late planting is not so serious for me. Because I leave it standing for wildlife it doesn't matter if it is dry this fall. I do hope to get planted soon.

No comments: