Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Farewell to the Diamond Reo.


Some wag has said that the two happiest days of a man's life are the day he buys his boat and the day he sells his boat. More about boats later. Some years ago I bought a 1970 Diamond Reo Truck. In case you don't know about trucks, it was a very big truck, the top of the hood was over seven feet off the ground. During most of its life it carried a concrete mixer but when I bought it it was bare. I put an implement bed on it and used it to carry my bulldozer. A couple months ago I sold the bulldozer to a man in McAllen, TX. Without the bulldozer I no longer needed the truck.
Without a use for it the truck was mostly in the way standing in the alley of my garage. Every time I wanted to access a tractor I'd need to drive the truck out of the garage. After advertising it nationally (one call came from Toronto, Canada!) I sold it locally. Chatting with the man running the excavator tearing down the old post office across the street from the garage I said "you want to buy a Diamond Reo?" Turns out he did want to and he did. So...if you wanted a Diamond Reo....you're too late.
I remember how excited I was the day I bought it and now I'm relieved to have it sold.
Boat story later.......

No comments: