Monday, September 21, 2026

Triggered Memory

       The book I'm currently re-reading, the first time in1998, is a report of the author's overland trip in 1930, through SE Asia. It's of particular interest to me because I spent much time there and traveled to many of the same places.

     This is the incident and the memory it triggered. Traveling in Vietnam the author comes to Hue. Yes, I was there. He embarks on a small boat on the Perfume River. It's lovely tropical night and the stars are in full array. Traveling alone and billeted in un-attractive hotel he decides to spend the night absorbing the romantic setting in the boat. A car is scheduled to drive him to Hanoi in the morning. He lights his pipe and settles in a for a delightful night. The next thing he knows the boat is bumping to a landing at dawn. He's terribly disappointed that he slept away the night.

    Now the Memory. Many years ago, Joanne and I, accompanied by my two brothers and their wives, travelled to Norway. Airline flights were arranged from Minneapolis to Amsterdam. There was a layover in Amsterdam so we could visit some museums. Leaving Minneapolis in the evening we arrived in Amsterdam early in the morning. We checked into our hotel and then, heading the advice not to give into jetlag but stay active, we headed out. One stop was a diamond shop where raw diamonds were being ground. Amsterdam is a city of canals. So, we took a boat ride on the canals to see the city. Jetlag hit me big time and I quickly fell asleep. When I awakened the other five were asleep, and so it went. None of us saw ten percent of the sites. 

Takk for alt,

Al

The Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam.


No comments: