Friday, September 25, 2026

New Bed!

      It was 2007 when we bought The Little House, the year I retired. At a local farm auction, I was the successful bidder, and the only one, on a bedroom set. Bed; spring set, mattress, frame and dresser and chest of drawers. Blond oak is a clue that they were from the fifties. All were like new. The previous owners had no children, and the set was in a rarely used guest room. They weren't the type of people to host overnight guests. No stickler for fashion, blond oak is just fine for me. For all of this I paid $12.00.

    The only downside was the bed frame. It was metal with four cross slats supporting the box spring. The slats had the annoying habit of slipping down during the night. Nineteen years of that was enough, so, I ordered a new bed; frame and mattress. Which was delivered today. When I removed the mattress cover, in preparation for delivery of the new bed, I was reminded of how pristine are then mattress and box spring. While I was feeling bad about disposing of them, fate intervened.  As they were leaning on the truck that would cart them away, a neighbor came to the door. He asked if he could have them for his son who needed a bed. So, they meet a need and I avoided a disposal fee. Tonight I'll try it out!

Takk for alt,

Al

A cheese shop in Amsterdam. This picture was taken in 1908 and posted randomly to supplement a possibly boring blog.


No comments: