Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Sometimes I sympathize with Rat.

 

  


        When I was new in the OFH I accepted an invitation to the weekly men's coffee hour. There were about twelve of us sitting in a circle. The bulk of the hour was listening to one expound on why we should volunteer at the St. Paul Saints Baseball games. No, I didn't go back. Twice a week there's a Happy Hour in the club lounge at the OFH. When I arrived, there were about twenty persons sitting in a circle. Sitting down at a small table I hoped someone would join me for conversation. Those gathered at the table wouldn't rest until I joined them. For an hour one person talked about his military experience. No, I didn't go back. Veteran's Social Hour at the OFH was about six persons around a round table having an interesting conversation. The group has grown to twelve or fifteen persons, two of whom do 95% of the speaking. No longer do I attend.
A female acquaintance started a Women's Social here in the OFH. When she asked me for suggestions for it, I suggested arranging chairs in smaller conversation groups, which she thought was a good idea. Later when I asked her how that worked, she said, "The women didn't like it because they couldn't hear what everyone said"

    Yes, I'm different, that's clear. One of the sweet privileges of adulthood is the right to vote with one's body. My body votes to be absent from circle time.

Takk for alt,

Al 

No comments: